Sunday, November 28, 2010

Vegan MoFo! Post #15: What's that, you really wanted me to fill out this questionnaire?

...Well, sure, I can do that!

What is one food you thought you’d miss when you went vegan, but don’t?
When I went vegan, I didn't really think about what I'd miss because I was already pretty sick of everything non-vegan! (A post-college back-packing trip through Europe as a then-vegetarian made sure of this. Read: cheese, everywhere.)

What is a food or dish you wouldn’t touch as a child, but enjoy now?
Raw tomatoes. Also, interestingly, there were a lot of meat and dairy products I'd never touch as a child (and as an omnivore) that I love the vegan version of (e.g., bacon, mayonnaise, REUBANS).

What vegan dish or food you feel like you “should” like, but don’t?
Raw kelp noodles. Rarely do I ever spit something out, but oi... Luckily, I like all other sea veggies, which are basically magic. 

What beverage do you consume the most of on any given day?
Water, but coffee is a very close second.

What dish are you “famous” for making or bringing to gatherings?
Deathrow Mac 'N Cheese

Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?
I will not eat normally-hot leftovers if they're cold. Will. Not. ...Unless it is capellini pomodoro. That is the only exception.

What’s one food or dish you tend to eat too much of when you have it in your home?
Pretzels. Just regular ol' pretzels.

What ingredient or food do you prefer to make yourself despite it being widely available prepackaged?
I wish my answer was "seitan." My actual answer is "salad dressing."

What ingredient or food is worth spending the extra money to get “the good stuff”?
Daiya cheese, Earth Cafe raw cheesecake, and high-quality dark chocolate. Oh and organic, fair trade coffee beans.

Are you much of a snacker? What are your favorite snacks?

I don't really know if I'd qualify myself as a "snacker" or not. But I do know that my favorite snack is hummus and raw broccoli.

What are your favorite vegan pizza toppings?
Daiya cheese, vegan meat, eggplant, spinach, anything spicy, fresh basil, garlic, and fancy things I've never tried on a pizza before (such as fresh rosemary or veggie burgers).

What is your favorite vegetable? Fruit?
This is probably the hardest question of all. I'll say kale for fave vegetable. Fave fruit is a tie between avocado, banana, and mango.

What is the best salad dressing?
The stuff on kale salad. Or a simple combo of flax seed oil, balsamic vinegar and spices.

What is your favorite thing to put on toasted bread?
I just realized this the other day, but I don't know why I don't put roasted garlic on my toasted bread more often. Other than that, I'm all about hummus.

What kind of soup do you most often turn to on a chilly day or when you aren’t feeling your best?
Potato soup on a chilly day. Vegetable-noodle if I'm sick.

What is your favorite cupcake flavor? Frosting flavor?
Freaking...Peanut butter marshmallow. They used to sell these at the vegan bakery I lived near in DC (Sticky Fingers) and I still dream about them.

What is your favorite kind of cookie?
Taraluche! These are the Italian cookies my late grandmother used to make. I *WILL* veganize them this Xmas.

What is your most-loved “weeknight meal”?
Something involving Italian Tofurkey sausage and arugula, but not together.



What is one dish or food you enjoy, but can’t get anyone else in your household to eat?
I live with all vegans. Getting people to eat what I make is not hard.

How long, in total, do you spend in the kitchen on an average day?

Maybe an hour on average, but the standard deviation is quite large (SD = 50). What, you didn't know I'm like half nerd?

How many fingers am I holding up?
I have to sneeze.

What kind of things are you doing for VeganMofo?

I found out about it like two days before it started. I am flying by the seat of my cruelty-free pants. 

3 comments:

  1. I totally "get" the now liking vegan versions of foods I hated in my pre-vegan days, like mayo, ranch and bacon.

    And my splurge list of foods is the same, with the addition of bolanis which I get at the farmer's market and am very addicted to.

    And I keep hearing about how good sticky fingers is...my sister just moved to DC so I think I may need to plan a sugar bender, I mean visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. All about hummus. Yep! Just gave your cool blog a shout out on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bess, you must try Sticky Fingers and report back to me. It's a vegan must.

    GiGi, thanks again for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete