Sunday, November 21, 2010

Vegan MoFo! Post #12: Potato Leek YESSS! Soup

Potatoes, leeks... and then some surprising ingredients. This was a total experiment but it ended up tasting delicious. YESSSS!

First, for those cooking virgins out there, I want to tell you what I love about leeks. They are less pungent than onions, so they're good for when you want that onion-y flavor without overpowering the rest of the ingredients. You also won't tear up when you cut them. Oh, and they're pretty. FYI when you buy them, they will have a huge bunch of darker green leaves at the end, which has been chopped off in the photo here.

So, potatoes, 1 leek, and a few cloves' worth of minced garlic. Pretty normal so far, yes?

Check out that leek in the middle here. She's a beaut.

Here comes the fun. Next I decided to add some wack ingredients because I was curious to see what would happen. I also had some leftover pumpkin puree from cookies I'd made recently. 


Said wack ingredients.

That's right. I added cayenne pepper, pumpkin puree, and cinnamon.

I loved the end result. I'm generally into anything spicy. If you don't like spicy, you can always reduce the amount of cayenne. Also, screw store-bought vegetable broth! I just use water and spices and let the simmering veggies do the rest of the magic. DIY, bitches!!!!

P o t a t o  L e e k  Y E S S S S !  S o u p 

Ingredients:

5-6 cups potatoes, chopped (I used about 10 small red bliss potatoes) 
1 leek, chopped (just the white and pale green parts)
1 large carrot, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, minced 
6-8 cups water (approximately)
olive oil, to taste
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
a dash of cinnamon (stick to just a dash or so, trust me)
red cayenne pepper, a lot, maybe 2 teaspoons 
sea salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
2-3 teaspoons lemon juice (optional)
dried parsley, for garnish


In a large pot, boil enough water just to cover the potatoes. Once the water is boiling, add the chopped potatoes. In a few minutes, add the chopped carrot. Stir occasionally. Once the veggies become softened, you can turn the heat down to medium.

Meanwhile, in a nearby frying pan, saute the leeks for about 5 minutes. Then add the garlic. Continue to saute until the leeks are somewhat translucent.

Add the pumpkin puree to the pot. Stir. Add the spices. Bring to a boil again, then turn down. Next, add the leeks and garlic. Boil again, then turn down.

With a small hand mixer, blend the soup until it is somewhat creamy. You decide how creamy you want it to be. If you don't have a hand mixer, blend the soup in a blender and then return to the pot. Allow the soup to simmer for at least 15 minutes, adding the lemon toward the end. You don't have to add lemon unless you want a tangier flavor. Garnish with dried parsley. While cooking, I also like to curse a few times, you know, for good luck, but you don't have to do that, either.

Almost ate it straight from the pot, but then thought better of it and opted for a spoon & bowl. Guess I have a sophisticated side. YESSSS!

This recipe was inspired, in part, by Sarah Kramer's cookbook, La Dolce Vegan. I freaking love that cookbook, and I don't get money for saying that (though if anyone wants to pay me, I'll prob take you up on it).

No comments:

Post a Comment