Sunday, November 21, 2010

Vegan MoFo! Post #13: Doomie's Home Cookin'

Doomie's Home Cookin' was a Los Angeles-based vegetarian restaurant that sadly closed down a while ago. The food was reportedly amazing and the vegan options were plentiful.

Now Doomie's is making a comeback and plans to have their grand re-opening on Dec. 11th, 2010 (incidentally, I am having a party that night, you're invited). Woohooooo!

Just to give everyone a taste of what's to come, Doomie's had an all-you-can-eat vegan brunch this weekend. I went. I ate.

It was amazing.

First, let's talk about the spicy potato balls. These things were fried and had breading on the outside and spicy, mashed-potato-y stuff on the inside. Hands down, this was my favorite item on the menu that day. I spoke with Doomie himself after the brunch, and he said he'd made them on a whim the night before. I wish my whims produced spicy fried potato stuff.

There were also really delicious chimichangas, my second favorite. Think chimichangas but tastier, crispier, and vegan. Basically, if something is fried and vegan, I will eat it. And I will usually love it.

Except when it comes to fried Oreos. These are only for the truly brave at heart. Don't get me wrong - they were absolutely delicious - but I could only eat a bite or two before my too-much-sweet alarm bells went off. You know what I liked about them, though? The taste was very reminiscent of funnel cake. Is funnel cake an east coast thing or do we have funnel cake here on the west coast? I wouldn't know, I'm not a native.

Hey, anyone else feel sassy when they talk about their love of fried food? Maybe it's just me.

Check out those crazy-beautiful innards and powdered-sugar-laden breading. p.s. Oreos are, in fact, vegan.

Other foods Doomie served included pasta with some kind of alfredo sauce (my third favorite menu item), chocolate cupcakes, breakfast burritos, green beans with a spicy-smokey dressing on them...and, according to people who got there at a reasonable time (who gets up before noon on a Saturday is what I wanna know), there was also French toast, home fries, and who KNOWS what other magic.

Doomie, who is super down-to-earth and friendly, also told us that he's considering having a small all-you-can-eat lunch buffet every weekday once the restaurant opens. I tried to talk him into having it on the weekends (R.I.P. Meet Market), too, but I'm not sure my powers of persuasion worked. We'll see.

'Til December...

Speecy Spicy Potato Ballz! And other goodness.

P.S. Doomie's Home Cookin' will be located at 1253 N. Vine St., #9, in Hollywood. There's a parking lot there, too.

3 comments:

  1. It was delish. For those who were there when they opened (or thereabouts after) there was a green bean casserole, old school style, which totally inspired part of our thanksgiving menu. NOM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to find the recipe for the spicy potato balls. that looks fantastically delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it really is fantastically delicious. i'm told it will not be a regular menu item @ doomie's, but apparently if you ask for it, you can still get it :)

    ReplyDelete