Thursday, November 18, 2010

Vegan MoFo! Post #10: Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Carob Walnut Cookies

Hey folks, I'm catching up on my MoFo posts! I'm not going to enter the contest for posting every day, but I want to live up to my promise of posting at least 22 posts this month.

Without further ado, I will share with you this delicious recipe. It's the one that I was talking about in the previous post. As I said before, I must give credit to one of my former roommates, Muckford, for finding the majority of this recipe.

B a n a n a  O a t m e a l  C h o c o l a t e  C a r o b  W a l n u t  C o o k i e s

Ingredients:

1 cup margarine, cold
1 1/2 cups tightly packed brown sugar 
1 cup non-refined sugar
1 large (or 2 small), ripe, mashed banana
4 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons water or soy/almond/rice milk
2 cups all-purpose or whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
1 cup carob chips
3/4 cup chopped walnut pieces

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Beat together the margarine and sugars. Electric mixers are unnecessary - you can just use a fork or some other utensil! Add the well-mashed banana and mix well, then add the vanilla, then the water. The water will try to separate; keep mixing with a figure-eight motion and add the dry ingredients, in the order above, bit by bit.

The final batter should be almost too dry to hold the chocolate chips. If the batter is too wet, add a little more flour + oats or else the cookies will turn out hard and flat. Put big gobs of batter onto an uncreased cookie sheet. You want these cookies to be kind of gigantic, trust me.

Bake them for 10 or 12 minutes. Cook them longer if you prefer a hard cookie, but be aware that bananas only approximate the action of an egg in the mix, and you can get cookies as hard as the cookie sheet if you aren't careful.

Let them congeal on the sheet for a moment after removing them from the oven, then cool on a plate or a wire rack. Store in an air-tight container. They taste even better after they sit overnight or in the fridge.

I have taken these cookies so many places and I can say, both vegans and omnivores alike have raved about them! They appeal to those without much of a sweet tooth, and also seemed to be the most popular cookie at Bitchcraft last week.

Sadly, I do not have a photo of these...They just get eaten that quickly. ;) Here's a cute photo of my boyfriend's dog instead. Enjoy!

Nico Puppins at her favorite dog park, waiting oh-so-patiently for my boyfriend to throw her ball.

1 comment:

  1. Nico Puppins yay-uh. Pup to the uppins, what up!

    ReplyDelete