Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Vegan MoFo! Day 2: My Secret for Perfect Tofu

As a vegan of over 5 years, it's hard to believe I'd never made baked tofu...until yesterday.

Let me just say, wow. I tested out the recipe for Asian Style Baked Tofu in Veganomicon and it was probably the best tofu I'd ever tasted (I give Isa and Terry full credit!). Where has this recipe been all my life, and why did I wait until now to try it?


Succulent baked tofu, waiting to be added to a kale salad.

As for the "secret" tip to getting your baked tofu perfect (no matter which recipe you use), the trick is in the pressing*. Typically, I'll press my tofu for a mere 15 minutes, maybe 30 if I'm feeling ambitious. This time, however, I pressed for about 3 hours (flipping the tofu block over a few times throughout, so that the top and bottom sides get pressed equally). Pressing for longer, I found, created a firmer, chewier composition and a heartier texture. My boyfriend, who often makes baked tofu, noticed the difference, too. From now on, any time I'm going to work with tofu, I will press it for a few hours!

*For those not familiar, to "press" tofu, you must drain the water out of the package and then place the block of tofu between two hard surfaces. It usually helps if you wrap the tofu with thin cloth first - that way the moisture can absorb into the cloth and keep the tofu-hard-surface sandwich from falling apart.

Keeping it brief today; I'm at work for most of the day, then going to see Little Stranger tonight at Detroit Bar.

10 comments:

  1. I have never baked tofu either, but want to try. Thanks for the tip. :)

    Love & Sunshine!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Connie! Thanks so much for stopping by and for following my blog! I hope you get the chance to make baked tofu soon - you're in for a treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baked tofu, but R usually makes hers very thin...I like the idea of thick and chunky baked tofu (that's what she said! haha). Maybe I should try yours, just for a taste test comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you would totally love the thicker, more voluptuous variety, just as much (that's what she said).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever tried freezing your tofu? Once it's thawed out, it absorbs marinade like a sponge and has an awesome texture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to start pressing my tofu for longer... This looks great, and I have Veganomicon so I really have no excuse.

    In response to your post on my blog: Thanks for the suggestions. I've been using LUSH cosmetics (the vegan ones) and I really like them. I'll try their shampoo next. As for the animal testing... I QUIT! I dropped out of the program, and I feel so great. Best decision I ever made!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lauren! I've heard of freezing tofu before, but I've never tried it. Thank you for reminding me that I *must* try that soon!!! Hmm, this is possibly an idea for a future MoFo post. :)

    almiragoesvegan, no problem! I really like the LUSH products, too. I think I am addicted. Also, I'm *so* glad that you're happy with your decision to leave your program. What a huge change, but it sounds like it was good for your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been a fan of baked tofu, but maybe it's time to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh re: freezing tofu...Colleen Patrick-Goudreau discusses it in one of her podcasts. I really want to try it...let's do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi mollyjade! You should try the smokey miso baked tofu on veganyumyum! I can't say I've ever made it, but next time I bake tofu, I reeeally want to use this recipe. Here's the link: http://veganyumyum.com/2008/07/smokey-miso-tofu/

    queerveganrunner/AJ, you should totally try the freezing tofu thing and let me be your taste tester! ;)

    ReplyDelete