I mostly followed the recipe in Vegan with a Vengeance, but with a few "grad student changes" (i.e., skipping any ingredients that would break my poor grad student bank and adding some ingredients that were much cheaper).
Here are the changes I made to the chile paste:
- I didn't have fresh lemongrass so I skipped that part. Looking back, I think this was probably a vital ingredient.
- Rather than grinding coriander seeds and cumin seeds, I used the powder forms of both.
- I didn't have fresh cilantro, which was also probably rather important. Need to start growing more of my own herbs. Right now we only grow mint at my house.
- Didn't have shallots, either, so I used yellow onion. Seemed to be fine.
- I added an extra Thai green pepper. What? I'm a glutton for heat.
And here are the changes I made to the rest of the recipe:
- I didn't use tofu. I ate all of my tofu. Woops. The SO told me that baked tofu probably wouldn't have worked out in a curry dish anyway, although I disagree.
- I added chick peas. This made me feel better about the lack of tofu.
- I added eggplant. Eggplant is one of my favorite veggies to work with.
- I added some sliced up carrot.
I served the finished product with jasmine rice. One thing I loved about this recipe, other than the ah-mazing taste, is that it made a lot. I'd say this yields about 4 hearty servings, if you make it the way I did with the extra veggies and jasmine rice. Next time, I'll aim to add shiitake mushrooms, too. I think the earthy shiitake flavors would make this even closer to perfect.
Also, I must say, I never realized how easy it is to make your own chile paste. I mean, it's basically just a few types of peppers + spices + water all ground up together. Again, I wonder how this simple fact evaded me for so long? I feel a new obsession coming on.
And now...for the food porn:
|Chile paste, just waiting to be added to the coconut milk and simmered into glorious aromas.|
|Yep, there's some wafting happening up in here.|
|iViola! A dish that's pleasing to all of the senses.|
Thanks for stopping by! Stay tuned for day 4. I've got some good stuff coming up!