Thursday, November 18, 2010

Vegan MoFo! Post #11: CSA Slaw!

Last night, I went to a vegan potluck in Redondo Beach. I decided to make something using (shocker, I know) whatever I had in my kitchen. Thus, I created "CSA Slaw," named such because it consists mainly of items we received in our CSA box.

Radicchio! photocred.

If you'd like to make this, there's no need to follow my recipe exactly, as I basically threw in whatever I felt like. The crucial ingredients are: Radicchio, carrots, apples, Veganaise, vinegar, and sugar. Anything else can be skipped or substituted.



C S A  S l a w

The Crunchy Ingredients:

1 head of Radicchio, shredded
5 carrots, diced
2 Granny Smith apples, diced
1 Gala apple, diced
2 or 3 pears (any variety), diced
2 Fuyu persimmons, diced
5 small radishes, diced 
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sliced raw almonds

The Dressing Ingredients:

1  2/3 cups Veganaise
2/3 cup unrefined sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
sea salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste

Combine the crunchy ingredients into a large serving bowl. Combine the Veganaise, sugar, and vinegar in a smaller bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour dressing over the crunchy ingredients and stir until well-combined. Add salt and pepper, to taste. NOTE: You may need to add more crunchy ingredients, depending on the crunchy-to-dressing ratio.



This was pretty well-received at the potluck last night. I hope you enjoy it, too!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of traditional cole slaw but this really sounds delicious. I am currently addicted to Veganaise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I used to actually hate both coleslaw and mayonnaise... but I somehow really like the vegan versions!

    ReplyDelete