Monday, November 1, 2010

Vegan MoFo! Day 1

Happy World Vegan Day, everyone! What better day to say...I have an exciting announcement! I've signed up for Vegan MoFo, which means I'll be posting a food-related blog entry every weekday for the entire month of November. That's 22 entries! I'm pretty stoked, as this year, November promises many interesting food opportunities for me.

What are those opportunities, you ask? Well, first off, today my house got a brand new vegan roommate! We are already plotting to host our first vegan potluck this month. Date TBA.

Next on the list, I was the very lucky recipient of quarrygirl's Healthy Taste of LA 2010 drawing! This means I'll be heading to Redondo Beach on Nov 7th to watch renowned vegan chefs perform cooking demos and taste their samples. There will also be speakers on nutrition and veganism. I believe tickets can still be purchased, so if you're interested, here's some more info!

On Nov 14th, I'll be participating in the first annual Bitchcraft Trading Post. There, I'll be selling my cruelty-free jewelry and other products. While this isn't exactly "food-related" per se, art is one of the ways in which I like to disseminate knowledge about veganism.

Then there's Thanksgiving on the 26th. I'll be helping my mom with the cooking, and creating an entire vegan menu.

My birthday is Nov 27th. Hopefully the S.O. and I will be road tripping up to northern CA, where there will be lots and lots of vegan restaurants I've been dying to check out.

I've also got a few cooking projects brewing. Below, you will see my beautiful "pumpkin pie" pumpkin, which I hope to use for some vegan pumpkin pie. I'll also roast the pumpkin seeds, which went over smashingly at my Halloween party last night. (My recipe is at the very bottom. It's super easy and delicious, so you should try it!)

Next to a standard-size coffee mug, so you can get an idea of its size.

We're due for another CSA delivery soon, too, just in time for starting Vegan MoFo off fresh and local! I can't wait to see what's inside the box this time. I really, really hope we get more purple bell peppers. Those taste similar to the more typical bell peppers, but more "peppery" and they're also crunchier. The smell made me nostalgic for my late Grandfather's vegetable garden. He was always growing green bell peppers and marveling at their beautiful, shining skins and robust aromas.

Colors matter a lot to me. Purple is one of my favorite. So, naturally, I nearly jumped outta my shoes when we received this here purple pepper.

Speaking of peppers, I'm currently concocting my first, ever homemade curry paste! I'm following Isa Chandra's recipe in Vegan with a Vengeance, but with a few of my own tweaks. A word to the wise: if ever you choose to embark on such an endeavor, DO NOT touch your eyes or face after you touch the peppers, EVEN if you have washed your hands. Don't be like me and think that washing your hands will suffice. It won't. That capsaicin takes time to fully come off your skin. I touched my forehead tonight after chopping my jalapenos and Thai green chiles, and it was as though I'd applied Icy Hot to my forehead for the next hour. ;) Hey, come to think of it, perhaps I'll start using hot peppers instead of Icy Hot... (Kids, do not try this at home.)

R o a s t e d  P u m p k i n  S e e d s

Ingredients:

1 medium or large pumpkin

dried basil
garlic powder
ground thyme
ground cayenne pepper
dried rosemary
salt

Preheat oven to 350. Save the seeds after you remove them from the pumpkin. Rinse in a colander to get the pumpkin bits off. Spread them out on a cookie/baking sheet. Then sprinkle all of the spices onto your seeds. I always just wing it and go by what seems tasty, but if you're one for measurements, then I'd say to use about 1/2 tsp of each spice. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, checking occasionally. The finished seeds will be a golden color and slightly browned on the edges. Oh, and your kitchen will smell absolutely to-die-for fabulous.

Happy Dia de los Muertos!

The S.O. and I succeeded at making our jack-o-lantern creepy-looking, no?

2 comments:

  1. I am also striving to post 20-25 posts for Vegan MoFo (actually linking to your site on Thursday). I wish I had a clone during this month so that I could read every single person's Vegan MoFo posts.

    As for Nor-Cal dining options, where will you be headed? I go up to SF/Berkeley a lot and am headed back there this weekend. Let me know if you want any dining recommendations besides Cinnaholic, which isn't a recommendation but a MANDATE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bess, that's rad that you're doing Vegan MoFo, too! Right on, girl! The awesome amount of blog-reading *is* overwhelming, though, I know. Tomorrow I am going to try and catch up as best I can! Speaking of which, I can't wait to check out what you've got in store. And gawly, I'm honored that you're going to link to me on Thurs - I mean, it's not just any link, but a *pre-meditated* link!

    As far as upcoming Nor-Cal travels, the primary goal is to hit up San Francisco, quite possibly taking the scenic PCH route. Tell me any and every suggestion you have! And what is Cinnaholic? Not that it matters, I think I already love it...

    ReplyDelete