Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Nanny Foodchain's Tarallucci Cookies! My FAVORITE

Like, oh my god, my favorite cookies ever were the ones my late Grandmother ("Nanny") used to make every xmas. She called them "tattalouch" but I think the more widely-known name is "tarralucci." Let's call them that so that people searching the vast interweb can find this recipe.

I've been wanting to resurrect this recipe for a few years now, but as the original recipe was not vegan, I knew it'd be a challenge. I also knew I could do it, and this year, I did. So here you go, the veganized version of Nanny Foodchain's "tattalouch"/tarralucci cookies.

N a n n y  F o o d c h a i n ' s  T a r r a l u c c i  C o o k i e s   O M G  M y  F a v o r i t e  E v e r 

Dough Ingredients:

5 cups flour
6 tsp of Ener-G Egg Replacer + 8 TB of water, thoroughly mixed together
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup Earth Balance
1 cup unrefined sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup vanilla soy milk
1 tsp lemon extract (a little more if you're feeling lucky, or use lemon zest if you're feeling fancy)
1 tsp vanilla

Icing Ingredients:

1 cup powdered sugar that's not processed through bone char
However much vanilla soy milk it takes to make the mixture into a pasty liquid
1 tsp lemon extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. After you mix the dough ingredients together, flour your hands, then take a chunk at a time and roll it between your hands until it forms a log. You'll want the log to be roughly the size of a small dog's turd. Think maybe the size of the turd of, say, a 2-month old Pitbull puppy named Sprinkles at a kill-facility. Once you have your log, twist it into a little, swirly pile. Repeat this process until you have no more dough.

Bake for roughly 10 minutes. Maybe more. The bottom of each "pile" should be golden brown around the outside. The insides will be cake-like.

Don't wait for the cookies to cool. Take your icing mixture and spoon it over each cookie. If you want, decorate by sprinkling Florida Crystals or some other form of vegan sprinkles on top. Hey, adopting Sprinkles is vegan, by the way.


Another hey, sometimes Nanny Foodchain liked to dye the dough red and green. You could probably get yourself just a little beet juice and dye the dough a nice pink OR red. Not sure if food coloring is vegan. I haven't used it in years. Anyone know?

I just want to bite into that lemony, vanillay, cakey goodness.

Swirly piles!!!!

haaaaaay.

And did you know these cookies are famous now?

5 comments:

  1. Well done-the cookies look super festive!

    Re: food coloring, I'm nearly sure red food coloring is not vegan, but not sure about the other colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bess! Ah. Beet juice it is then. Or just leave them plain white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm late to the party but those do look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been searching for a long time to find a recipe for "tattalouch", not knowing what the real name was. We called them "tattalouch" too.
    I came across your post. Would you mind posting your Nanny's original recipe? I'm not vegan and don't want to offend anyone, but I'm not familiar with some of your ingredients/substitutions. Your cookies look like the ones my grandmother made. She's gone and I'd love to make them in her memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anonymous,

    Thanks for visiting. I'm really excited that there is someone else out there who understands the magic of "tattalouch" cookies. Seriously, you are the first person I've ever come across who's heard of them!

    Although I can't post the original recipe - as a matter of principle, my blog does not advocate the use of animal products - I really, really want to help you celebrate your heritage. I promise you that the recipe I've posted tastes *exactly* the way my Nanny's original version tasted. Seriously. You will not be missing out on any of the original flavor or texture. As an added bonus, this version is 100% cholesterol free, and no animals were killed to make it (contrary to popular belief, the milk and egg industry *does* include killing cows and chickens!). Oh! And the EnerG Egg Replacer will seriously last you forever and it works in any baking recipe that calls for eggs!

    Email me at chooseyourownfoodchain@gmail.com and I'd love to help you find the ingredients that you're unfamiliar with. :)

    ReplyDelete