Saturday, December 4, 2010

Mama Foodchain's Pasta E Fagioli

When I was visiting my family in Pennsylvania for ThanksLiving last week, I had the luxury of trying out my mom's new soup recipe. It is inspired from a recipe she'd found in the newspaper, which she veganized specifically for me (Mama Foodchain is not vegan herself...yet). It's pretty simple to make and yet it tastes fabulous. So lovely on a cold day.

The soup is awesome the way it is written below, but if you're looking to add more greens, Mama Foodchain and I both agreed that the perfect ingredients to include would be lima beans, chopped okra, or spinach.

M a ma  F o o d c h a i n ' s  P a s t a  E  F a g i o l i

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups canned chickpeas
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons of minced garlic
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Sea salt, to taste
14 oz. can of chopped tomatoes
3/4 can tomato paste (standard-sized can)
6 cups vegetable stock
1 cup elbow macaroni
Ground black pepper, to taste
Nutritional yeast, to taste
Love

Rinse the chickpeas and set aside. In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic, rosemary, pepper flakes, and salt. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until the onion has softened.

Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil.

Remove the rosemary stalk. Add the rosemary leaves and the nutritional yeast to the pasta. Reduce to a simmer and cook approximately 12 minutes, or until the pasta is tender. Serve with love.


I don't have a photo of this. Sometimes with delicious food, I completely forget about taking photos. So instead, here are some photos from my visit to Animal Acres on my birthday this year. In case you're wondering, my birthday was November 27th, and I do accept late presents if you're so inclined. ;)



Cowboy the calf, who's grown a LOT since the last I saw him! They just found a forever home for him, too.

Goats do like to pose with humans, in case you didn't know.


Have you ever seen more bliss than this?
Just relaxing in the shade. Most of the other cows were doing the same when I took this.

6 comments:

  1. i love pasta fagoli! i never knew it didn't come vegan. my mom never made with animal products even when i wasn't vegan. maybe a diff. between no. and so. italian? i noticed my mom didn't grow up on a lot of meat products. glad you enjoyed! i know what i'm having my mom make when i visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :) I think that the only thing that's not vegan about it is if you add parmesan cheese. You should definitely post about your mom's soup once she makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Vegan parm (nooch) would be great on top or some vegan pesto. Really great pix too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pasta e fagioli!!! And love your pictures! You look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GiGi, I agree! And thanks. QVR, I love it too! And thanks. I definitely was totally blissing out with the animals :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe and pics!

    My sister just took my 3 and a half year old nephew and some of his friends to Animal Acres and they absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete