Monday, September 1, 2014

MoFo Scramble! w/Wilted Arugula & Tempeh Bacon

940x198_r1_header

It's Vegan MoFo, Day 1!

And now, let's start this off right with a little tofu scramble.

My favorite tofu scramble recipe has always been the one in Isa Chandra Moskowitz's time-honored Vegan with a Vengeance, and probably always will be.

The version I created today was inspired in part by Isa's classic recipe, and also by chooseveg.org's 10 Meatless Meals You Can Make in 10 Minutes, my own laziness, it's-too-hot-to-cook, I-can't-wait-an-hour-to-eat, these-are-the-ingredients-I-have, and sometimes-I-can't-bare-to-measure-things. Sometimes, I can't help myself but add a few things here and there, so I won't call this recipe very quick and easy, but it is fairly so.

One little note: The fennel seed is really the magic in this recipe, so if you're going to skip a spice, don't skip that one!



M o F o  S c r a m b l e  
w /  W i l t e d  A r u g u l a   &  T e m p e h  B a c o n

Ingredients
onion, 1/2, diced
garlic, 1 clove, minced
firm tofu, 1 block
tempeh bacon, 3 strips (I used Tofurkey's Smokey Maple Bacon Strips)
nutritional yeast, 1/4 cup or less
1 lemon
fresh arugula, 2 generous handfuls
curry powder
tumeric
cumin
fennel seeds
sea salt & pepper
  1. Saute garlic and onions in vegetable oil (or whatever oil you have).
  2. Prepare the spice mixture in a small bowl. Use equal parts curry powder and tumeric, and only a little cumin. Use maybe a teaspoon of fennel seeds, first crushing them in between your fingers. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Add spice mix to pan. Saute for another minute or two. 
  4. Crumble tofu into pan. You can kind of squeeze it through your fists, which is a nice little trick for two reasons: it's the next best thing to pressing the tofu beforehand (which I didn't feel like doing) and it serves to add water to the pan, which you need to do anyway to deglaze it. 
  5. Squeeze half of the lemon over the pan. 
  6. Add the nutritional yeast, then the tempeh bacon (I broke the strips into small squares). 
  7. Continue to saute until mix is clumpy, deglazing pan with splashes of water as needed. 
  8. Squeeze other half of lemon over the pan.
  9. Stir in the arugula and let it wilt before serving. 
I like my tofu scramble with a cup (or three) of strong, French-pressed coffee. Maybe some hot sauce, too. Enjoy!

P.S. I missed the deadline to sign up for the Vegan MoFo RSS feed / blogroll, so if you enjoy my posts, please add me to your feed! If you aren't sure how to do it, here's an illustrated how-to guide I created!

Here's my feed url:

 http://chooseyourownfoodchain.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss

You can also find me on Instagram (http://instagram.com/megvegmeg). 

2 comments:

  1. I love fennel seeds but I don't think I've ever added them to tofu scramble. It does sound good with the arugula and maple bacon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie! Thanks for stopping by! I'd never added fennel seeds to scramble before, either, but what gave me the idea was remembering how fennel is sometimes used in Italian sausage. I think that's partly why I (over 9 years ago) used to think sausage was good despite being pretty yucked out by it - because it had that fennel kick (well and because of the spicy pepper and tomato)! Anyway the fennel definitely gave the tofu scramble a subtle herbal, warm-sweet, earthy twist. I'm totally going to do it from now on!

      Delete