Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Pad Thai with Zucchini Noodles & Rice Noodles


940x198_g1_header 

It's Vegan MoFo, Day 2!

I posted two how-two guides earlier, to help folks who are having trouble setting up their feeds and/or adding individual blogs to their feeds, so I'm only now posting my recipe of the day.

I'd never made this dish before, and I must say, I'm already pretty fond of it. In fact, it might be a new staple. It's a recipe that I adapted from The Stoner Vegan's recipe, "Peanut Noodles." I even brought it with me tonight to share with my weekly creative writing group, and I think it was a pretty big hit. ;)

Without further ado, I bring you...


P a d  T h a i  w/  Z u c c h i n i  N o o d l e s  &  R i c e  N o o d l e s 

Ingredients
8 to 10 oz of rice noodles, cooked according to package* 
1 large zucchini, julienned
1/2 large yellow onion, sliced into short half moons
sesame oil**
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup water
3 TB tamari***
powdered ginger (or fresh), to taste
sea salt, to taste
1 lime****
1 carrot, shaved
2 green onions, sliced thinly


*I used over half a box of Thai Kitchen brand's "stir-fry rice noodles."
**I used spicy sesame oil, because I like hot foods, but whatever you fancy.
***You could use soy sauce or shoyu if you don't have tamari. And if you want to make this dish gluten free, use tamari but just make sure it doesn't contain wheat.
****Don't skip the lime. It's the magic ingredient, trust me.

  1. In a large wok, saute the onion in the sesame oil until onion is fairly translucent.
  2. Add zucchini to wok. Toss periodically.
  3. Add the water, then the peanut butter. Stir well, until peanut butter is fully blended, but being careful not to break the zucchini.
  4. Add the tamari, ginger, and sea salt. Toss.
  5. Add the (already cooked) noodles. Toss.
  6. Squeeze 1/2 (or more) lime over the mixture. Toss.
  7. To serve, top with shaved carrots, sliced green onions, and lime wedges from the remaining part of the lime. Bonus: If you have fresh cilantro, that'd make a great topping, as well. 



_________________________________________________________________________________
P.S. I missed the deadline to sign up for the Vegan MoFo RSS feed/blogroll, so if you enjoy my posts, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if you added me to your feed! 

If you aren't sure how to do it, here's an illustrated how-to guide I created! But if you're using feedly, you can simply enter "chooseyourownfoodchain" in the search box, click on my site, then add me! 

Here's my RSS feed url, if you need it: http://chooseyourownfoodchain.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss

P.P.S. You can also find me on Instagram 
(http://instagram.com/megvegmeg). 

3 comments:

  1. Yum. I tried this fabulous dish last night and it was so good I want to make it again today. : ) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank *you* for being a taste tester!! I love that you enjoyed it so much!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, this looks yum! (And hi! I also missed the sign-up deadline for VeganMoFo and am struggling to be heard, so I can commiserate! I've added you to my feeds.)

    ReplyDelete