Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What on Earth Are We Going to Do About Earth?

Remember when I said I was back from my recent dissertation hiatus? I lied. Sorry about that. Academia can be so labile. I can, however, report that at long last, I've begun the data collection phase of my dissertation research! For those of you not in academia, all you really need to know is that this is a milestone for me, one that has been (for reasons seemingly beyond my control) particularly difficult to reach, and that it's best to tread lightly.

Meanwhile, as I live in my little bubble, there is major turmoil going on in the world. There are so many different messages being exchanged about what will happen to Japan, whether radiation will affect the US, and how to help. As for self-protection (for Southern Californians), I have heard that taking iodine supplements are recommended to prevent radioactive iodine from having the chance to be absorbed in the thyroid. I have also heard from a friend that kelp is the safest source of this iodine. And yes, despite the government's reassurances that everything will be okay, I bought a bottle.

photocred.

It's also a good time to remind people that radiation affects ground water, which means it gets absorbed into vegetation. When animals eat that vegetation and store it in their cells, those animals and their secretions become a very concentrated source of whatever crap (e.g., radiation) was in the vegetation they ate. Ergo, avoiding eating any animal products is your safest bet if you want to limit your intake of toxic substances. Viva la veganism.

But what about the animals' exposure to radiation? What pills will they take to prevent themselves from absorbing the awesome amount of pollutants that humans have leaked into our shared space in the solar system? What about them, huh?

What about the continued use of nuclear power and weapons?

What about the future?

We are screwing up the planet and a bottle of iodine ain't gonna fix it.

But you can. And so can I.

1 comment:

  1. Recently I wrote a blog entry offering a leftist critique of the ideology of “Green” environmentalism, deep ecology, eco-feminism, and lifestyle politics in general (veganism, “dumpster diving,” “buying organic,” "locavorism," etc.). I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter and any responses you might have to its criticisms.

    ReplyDelete